Pastor Chris Iyeke
We must understand that godliness empowers not just any kind of person; but only those who believe and have acknowledged that Jesus has supremacy over their lives, as their Lord and personal savior. Godliness takes sweat away and positions you for all-round breakthroughs, especially noiseless breakthroughs.
Many still struggle with ungodliness because they think that godliness is achievable by their power. However, there is a spirit called the Spirit of holiness; living holy is only a reality when you become empowered by this spirit of holiness. Romans 1:4 (KJV) “And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:” You cannot serve God effectively without spirituality; the Holy Spirit (who is the spirit of holiness), helps you detest and detect ungodliness.
There is a fierce battle going on against our living godly. 1Peter 5:8-9 (KJV) (8) “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: (9) “Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.” Inasmuch as these battles are ongoing, we must know what and who to fight; because these battles are not natural, they are all spiritual (invincible) battles that manifest in the physical, by the operations of ungodly spirits. Ephesians 6:12 (KJV) “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places”. There are therefore forces of ungodliness we have to overcome. Some of these forces are;
- The Spirit of Sexual Immorality
This spirit makes people live in sexual perversion or sexual immorality. It constantly craves for filthiness and immorality by making motions in the body. However, when such motions arise, we are expected to pray in the Spirit, as believers; to escape destruction. Numbers 25:1-8 (KJV). Sexual immorality is a trick the devil uses to turn Gods face from man, and incure His wrath. Judges 16. Sexual immorality is a tool the devil uses to bring down the anointed; it is a deadly sin.
Overcoming the devil (and the spirit of immorality), is by knowledge of God’s word and empowerment by the Spirit of holiness; not by experience. 1Corinthians 10:5-14. Immorality has capacity to destroy you, that’s why even God advices that we flee from it. 1Corinthians 6:18-20 (KJV) (18) “Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.” (19) “What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” (20) “For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your Spirit, which are Gods”.
Therefore, refuse to be captured by this force of immorality, and preserve your destiny. Daniel 1:8 (KJV) “But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself”.
- The Spirit of Pride
You cannot advice a proud person, because he is already set for destruction. Ezekiel 28:12-15 (KJV). Pride always comes before a fall. Psalms 10:4-5 (KJV) (4) “The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts” (5) “His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them”. Pride puts you in contention with your divine helpers, intentionally or unintentionally.
HOW DO I OVERCOME UNGODLINESS?
- Engage the spirit of love against the spirit of the world. Romans 5:17 (KJV) “For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of Grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ”. Godliness is not a reducer of men; therefore, strive to live godly by engaging the spirit of love which guarantees eternal gain. 1John 2:15-17 (KJV) (15) “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the father is not in him.” (16) “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world”. (17) “And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever”.
- Engage the name of Jesus in battle against sin. Proverbs 18:10 (KJV) “The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe”. Declare your deliverance form all forces of ungodliness and establish your dominion over them, by calling on the name of Jesus. Philippians 2:9-11 (KJV) (9) “Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name” (10) “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;” (11) “And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the father”. Recognize that Jesus is your only source of help; you cannot overcome ungodliness without engaging him in the battle against sin.
- Crave or pray to be endued with the spirit of obedience. Ezekiel 36:27 (KJV) “And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
BENEFITS OF GODLINESS
- It enhances the flow of Proverbs 1:23 (KJV) “Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you”.
What is Revelation?
It is the access to the secrets of God. Psalms 119:18 (KJV) “Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law”. When you lack access to revelation, all you have left is common sense.
Ungodliness blocks your access to Gods voice and His secrets; it stops your access to the understanding of scriptures, and therefore hinders the application of God’s word in your life. Psalms 25:14 (KJV) “The secret of the Lord is with them that fear Him; and he will show them his covenant”.
JESUS IS LORD!